Shaun Kama was born in Heidelberg, Germany to two parents that served during the Vietnam War. After moving to Albany, NY in his youth, Shaun’s family spent summers in Great Barrington, MA, where his passion for painting began while studying the works of Norman Rockwell at his original gallery. He later moved to Southern California, attending high school in Huntington Beach, where he was commissioned by friends and students for his talents at logo and skateboard design. At age 16, Shaun started playing in his first band, beginning a lifelong love of music and performing. After finishing school, Shaun moved to Los Angeles in the wake of the glam scene, and joined Hello Disaster, an up‐and-coming punk band. With his musical career launched, Shaun set off on a new adventure, beginning his apprenticeship with the World Famous Mark Mahoney at the Original Shamrock Studios on 3rd St. in Los Angeles. His journey into the arts had just begun.
Tattooing for over 25 years, Shaun has found his niche in the tattoo world. His personal tastes as a tattoo artist lead him to the dark and macabre, which led to his reputation as the king of Halloween Tattoos. Shaun’s work is dark and edgy, with incredible detail and vibrant color. He is also skilled in single needle black and grey work, through working alongside Mark Mahoney and Bob Vessels. His artistic influences include Norman Rockwell, Salvador Dali, Boris Vallejo, Bernie Wrightson, Ralph Steadman, and Frank Frazetta. He describes himself as a Jack‐of‐All‐Trades with personalization to the tastes of his clients. Shaun also regularly paints, working in acrylics, oils and watercolors. He can often be found doing a variety of commissioned artworks for his clients, and his paintings can be seen at a variety of art events throughout the year.
Throughout his career, Shaun’s love for music has continued, with Shaun serving as the front man for The Living End, Damnation, Kings of the Wild Frontier, Lords of the Damned, and Ramone's tribute, Rocket To Russia. While tattooing, Shaun is almost always found with a set of headphones on, listening to his trusty iPod. His musical tastes are vast, ranging from Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers to Slayer, Otis Redding and Nick Cave to The Highwaymen and Lords of the New Church.
As a regular in the tattoo and horror convention circuit, Shaun has dedicated himself to bringing his art around the country and internationally. He has traveled with Black Veil Brides on the 2013, 2015, & 2017 Warped Tour tattooing across the U.S. Shaun is the driving force and the director of the tattoo program at the annual Buffalo Chip Tattoo Café in Sturgis, SD for the last 11 years.
In addition to permanent tattoos, Shaun has worked as a body art and temporary tattoo artist
on commercials, print campaigns, and music videos. Many celebrity A‐listers and musicians
have worked with or been tattooed by Shaun, including Rihanna, Janet Jackson, Missy
Elliot, Andy Biersack (BVB & Andy Black), Craig Mabbitt (Escape The Fate), Ash Costello &
Nikki Misery (New Years Day), Nelly, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sinbad, and Bob Halley.
Shaun Kama is currently sponsored by Eternal Ink, Helios, Critical Power Supply,
Inkeeze, Republic Tattoo Supply, Bishop Rotary, Dip Cap, Glove 4 the Artist, Hustle
Butter Deluxe, Coffin Case,and Red Monkey Leather.
Now booking appointments at Classic Tattoo (Las Vegas), El Clasico Tattoo (Los Angeles),
All Hallows Ink (Fullerton, CA), & Grape Ape Tattoo (Tucson, AZ).
Guest Artist At These Tattoo Shops:
• Classic Tattoo (Las Vegas, NV)
• Grape Ape Tattoo (Tucson, AZ)
• Pussykat Tattoo Parlor (Las Vegas, NV)
• El Clasico Tattoo (Los Angeles, CA)
• Shamrock Social Club (W. Hollywood, CA)
• All Hallows Ink (Fullerton, CA)
• Mom’s Tattoo Shop (San Francisco, CA)
• Big City Tattoo (San Diego, CA)
• Unbreakable Tattoo (Studio City, CA)
• XS Tattoo (Montreal, QB)
• Urban Tattoo (Arlington, TX)
• Electric Lotus Tattoo (Oklahoma City, OK)
Tattoo & Horror Conventions
• Annual Buffalo Chip Tattoo Café (Sturgis, SD)
• Rue Morgue Festival of Fear Horror Convention (Toronto, ON)
• Monster Mania Horror Convention (Hunt Valley, MD / Cherry Hill, NJ)
• Texas Frightmare Expo (Dallas, TX)
• Fan Expo (Dallas, TX / Toronto, ON)
• Mad Monster Horror Convention (Phoenix, AZ)
• South Texas Horror Convention (McAllen, TX)
• Musink Tattoo Expo (Costa Mesa, CA)
• Eternal Tattoo Expo (Detroit, MI)
• Philadelphia Tattoo & Art Expo (Philadelphia, PA)
• Chicago Tattoo & Art Convention (Chicago, IL)
• Gulf Shores Tattoo Invitational (Galveston, TX)
• Lone Star Rally (Galveston, TX)
• Ink Masters Tattoo Invitational (Anaheim, CA)